Saturday, May 3, 2014

Swapper Profile - Susan!

Our swapper for the week is Susan.  She hails from Pascagoula, Mississippi, and here is some of what Wikipedia has to say about it.  "It is a city in Jackson County, Mississippi. The population was 26,200 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Jackson County[2].  Pascagoula is a major industrial city along the Gulf Coast. Prior to World War II, the town was a sleepy fishing village of only about 5,000. The population exploded with the war-driven shipbuilding industry. Today, Pascagoula is home to the state’s largest employer, Ingalls Shipbuilding. Other major industries include one of the largest Chevron refineries in the country; Signal International, an oil platform builder; and Mississippi Phosphates."

And here is what Susan shared about herself.  "I learned to sew when I was in high school--I was 5'8" and wore a size 1.  Nothing was ever long enough, so I started making my own clothes. I started quilting my senior year in college.  My new niece needed a quilt, and my grandmother had me cut out pink and blue squares using a square cut from a cereal box as a template.  I really started quilting when my own children were born.  I have been quilting for about 30 years now.  I belong to 4 guilds (two local, one state, one regional).  I also love to knit.  

I still work full time as a food scientist for the federal government.  I have three children, ages 29, 26 and 21.  The youngest is still in college.  I have a goofy rescue Weimaraner named Jake, and just got a foster Weim, Buddy last week.  I am a runner, and recently completed my tenth marathon.  I also enjoy triathlons--wish me luck, my first sprint tri is this weekend.  I recently started dating a wonderful man who tolerates all my activities :)."

And Susan also shared this...

"My "Trash to Treasure Pineapple" won 2nd place in the theme category at the Gulf States Quilt Show last month."



Wow Susan!  Congratulations!!  I love scrappy quilts and this one is great.

Susan has a blog at http://www.crazysue62.blogspot.com where you can see some sewing photos, some doggy photos, lots of knitting projects and some running events.

It's very nice to meet you Susan.  I have long wanted to travel on the east coast of the states, so I may be down to visit sometime. :) 

Everyone please take the time to leave a comment here saying hello to Susan.

Janet 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    Congratulations on your 2nd place win. That quilt is gorgeous. A food scientist? That sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to meet you and what a lovely scrappy quilt. I am also familiar with the Weimaraner breed having had one as a child and my sister having a 2yo one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan!
    very nice to meet you! I love your Pineapple Quilt! Definitely a beautiful quilt. Congratulations on the win.! Headed to check out your blog!
    Jave fun!
    xo jan

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment telling us what wondrous flowers are growing in your hexie gardens